Darwin Night Spots
Where to party in Darwin?
Darwin’s top spots for a night on the town.
With the most youthful population of any city in the country, there’s no shortage of great nightlife in Darwin. Darwin’s nightlife hub is along on Mitchell Street, where there are plenty of pubs serving good beer and food and clubs to keep you dancing until dawn.
- Wisdom: built on the site of a former dental surgery, Wisdom stands out as one of Darwin’s newest bars, and it’s not just due to the bright blue exterior. Opening early and closing late, Wisdom offers al fresco dining all day and plenty of standing room inside the bar as the night rolls on. 48 Mitchell St. www.wisdombar.com.au
- The Deck Bar: sip a G&T or icy cold beer in the shade on the enormous deck perfect for people watching. NT House, 22 Mitchell St. www.thedeckbar.com.au
- The Tap: set beneath a huge melaleuca tree this beautifully landscaped alfresco beer garden is the perfect spot for a drink with friends. Try their signature cocktail ‘The Fishbowl’ and be sure to check out the interesting taps in the bathrooms. 58 Mitchell St. www.thetap.com.au
- Shenannigans: get up to some monkey business as Shenannigans entertains you with live music and DJs. There’s a la carte dining to tempt you away from the bar…and a 2am bar license to lure you back again. 69 Mitchell St. www.shenannigans.com.au
- Happy Yess: small, funky and retro, Happy Yess is Darwin’s favourite arts and music lounge – a not-for-profit venue that caters to the emerging alternative arts scene in Darwin. In addition to regular karaoke nights, poetry readings and film screenings, local and interstate bands perform an eclectic mix of tunes. Open from 8pm Thursday to Saturday. Smith St and Harry Chan Av (Brown’s Mart Building). www.happyyess.com
- Ducks Nuts Bar & Grill: one of Darwin’s most popular going-out spots, with live bands on Fridays and Saturdays and jazz and blues musicians crooning to a mellow crowd on Sunday afternoons. Eat on the wide wrap around veranda above busy Mitchell Street and try the Ducks signature dish duck. The Thai duck leg with banana curry, served with mango chutney and fragrant rice, is worth ordering. On the weekend Tzars Vodka Bar cranks up with Ducks resident DJs spinning the latest tunes. 76 Mitchell St. www.ducksnuts.com.au
- Lizards Outdoor Bar & Grill: soak up the balmy Darwin atmosphere in this large beer garden that’s more like a botanical garden. Live bands every weekend. Daly St (Cnr Mitchell St).
- Monsoons: grown up and sophisticated, this exotically-decked out restaurant-cum-bar in the city’s original cinema building is a great place to meet for a glass of bubbly or diving cocktail. 46 Mitchell St. www.monsoons.net.au
- Discovery Nightclub: burn up the dance floor at Discovery, Darwin’s favourite place to party. As well as late-night/early morning dance sounds, it regularly features live bands. Great spot if you’re looking for big night out. 89 Mitchell St. www.discoverynightclub.com.au