Travel Itinerary for Families
Check out our other Melbourne Itineraries for solos and couples.
Inner-city Melbourne Family Adventures
You wouldn’t think the CBD of a large city would be fun for kids, but Melbourne is very family friendly. There’s lots of cool stuff for kids big and small in the central city or very close by.
- Just behind Vibe Savoy Hotel Melbourne is the footbridge to the massive Etihad Stadium. This is where the big games are played and the big names perform. From here, keep walking to …
- Docklands waterfront shopping and entertainment precinct. It’s jumping with fun family activities your kids will love, including:
- Medibank Icehouse – a huge state-of-the-art dual ice rink that’s suitable for all ages
- Monkey Mania indoor children’s playcentre for ages 0 – 13
- Wonderland Fun Park serves up unlimited carnival rides for just $29.50. That’s darn good value for all the dodgems, roller coaster, and carousel rides you can handle in a day.
- Black Light Mini Golf – This glow-in-the-dark golf experience is a big laugh for parents and kids alike as all 18 holes have themes, such as a Kingswood ute that you have to hit the ball into.
- Fox Classic Car Collection at the historic Queen’s Warehouse Building includes vehicles owned by Elvis, James Dean and Picasso!
Next, take a cruise boat or catch the ferry to…
- Southbank, a riverside dining precinct that is more than just restaurants, al fresco cafes and bars. During the day there’s loads of free entertainment courtesy of buskers and street performers. Make sure you have the camera ready to capture the looks on your kids’ faces. Priceless!
A bit further on towards the Casino there are dynamic water sculpture that are tailor-made for playing in, especially on a hot day. Then make your way to…
- Melbourne Aquarium is packed with fishy surprises and awesome interactive displays. Warning: you will most likely get wet! But not to worry –you can dry off back at your hotel, which is just a short walk away.