Travel Itinerary for Solos
Have a squiz at our other Melbourne itineraries for more adventures and sightseeing suggestions.
Carlton Fun for One
If you’re staying at Vibe Hotel Carlton chances are you’re a fan of all things Italian. Because Carlton’s big claim to fame is its status as Melbourne’s Little Italy.
So we won’t suggest the obvious – an itinerary stuffed with pasta restaurants, places to sip chilled Chianti, and shopping for designer goodies. Besides, there are loads more to Carlton than sensational food and fashion. This suburb also boasts a smorgasbord of art, history and culture.
So, after your morning coffee at one of the local cafes, hit the road to see some of the unique sights of Carlton and its environs, such as …
- Books for Cooks. This is a fascinating shop /book museum, especially if you’re a foodie, or even if you’re not. There are over 35, 000 new, secondhand and antique cookery books stashed in this one-of-a-kind shop at 233 – 235 Gertrude Street, Carlton.
- Centre for Contemporary Photography. A feast for the eyes! One of the very best photographic galleries in the country, CCP is run by artist photographers and has amazing shows at any given time in its six exhibition spaces. 404 George Street, Fitzroy.
Next, get out in the fresh air with a …
- Walk around spectacular Carlton Gardens. This spectacular 24-hectare Victorian-style garden boasts towering trees, rare plants, and lots of animals, including kookaburras, flying foxes and frogs. It contains two must-see Melbourne treasures:
- The World Heritage-listed Royal Exhibition Building. Just beautiful! A real treat to gaze upon and walk around.
- Melbourne Museum. The second largest museum in the Southern Hemisphere, with outstanding permanent displays (including great dinosaurs), plus world-class touring shows at any given time.
Next to Carlton Gardens in the North, you’ll find …
- Melbourne General Cemetery. Steeped in history and with half a million stories to tell, this huge necropolis is the final resting place for many big-shot Aussies, including Burke and Wills. Heaps of fun to explore on your own. But even more fascinating on a guided tour with enthusiastic local historians – call 03 9890 9288 or 03 9872 5492.
- La Mama Theatre. The perfect wrap to a day in Carlton is an evening at this small local theatre with the huge reputation for cutting-edge Australian productions. 205 Faraday Street, Carlton. Book on 03 9347 6142.