Travel Itinerary for Families
See our other Melbourne itineraries
Family Adventures in Carlton
The kids will love holidaying in Carlton. Not only is Vibe Hotel Carlton a fun place to stay with a nice heated pool and a kid-friendly restaurant, but also there’s heaps to do nearby, indoors and out, rain or shine.
At the top of the list is:
- Melbourne Zoo. No visit to Melbourne is complete without a day-trip to this beautiful Zoo with its Gorilla Rainforest, Orangutan Sanctuary and mind-blowing Butterfly House. And it’s only a 10-minute walk from Vibe Hotel Carlton. It’s FREE for children under 16 years during Victorian school holidays, pubic holidays, and on weekends. How good is that?
The next absolute ‘must-do-and-see’ is:
- Carlton Gardens. Okay, so the kids might not be that interested in the fine Victorian garden design, or the avenues of historic trees. And it’s probably only the little ones that’ll get a kick out of the ducks, flying foxes and kookaburras that live here.
But here’s what will really rock their world:
- IMAX at Melbourne Museum. Considered to be the most immersive in the world, with the biggest 3D screen in Australia, and 15,000 watts of surround sound! All the big 3D blockbuster kids’ movies and educational docos are shown here
- The World Heritage-listed Royal Exhibition Building. Not only amazingly beautiful, but steeped in history too. It’s still in use today, so with a bit of luck your visit will coincide with an awesome exhibition suitable for children.
- Melbourne Museum. The second largest museum in the Southern Hemisphere, with great permanent displays – including a massive lineup of dinosaurs. Keep an eye open for the world-class touring exhibitions that come here.
- Carlton Gardens Playground. An award-winning contemporary take on a 19th century maze, it enthralls babies through to school age kids. It’s right next to Melbourne Museum.
- Dracula’s Cabaret Restaurant. If your kids are 16 or over, this is a scream of a night out for the family. Dracula’s serves up fetish rock with lashings of comedic weirdness, sideshows, graveyard cocktails, and pretty good food. There’s even a Ghost Train! 100 Victoria Street, Carlton. Book on 03 9347 3344.
Extras on the Side
- Take the Tram into the CBD to check out Federation Square, Southbank, Melbourne Aquarium, and more.
- Catch a ferry at Federation Wharf to Docklands – Melbourne’s huge and exciting waterfront precinct. There’s heaps for kids here, including a giant ice-skating rink and an amusement park.