Travel Itinerary for Families
Darwin is loaded with fun and adventure, with more ideas to be found in our other Darwin travel itineraries.
Kids Just Love Darwin
Darwin is heaven on a stick for a family holiday. It has everything kids adore – thrilling outdoor adventures, close encounters with wildlife, swimming in picture-perfect lagoons, and great places to play and picnic.
First up should be a tour of Kakadu National Park. It’s the ultimate history, art & geography lesson, and just gob-smacking amazing. The next ‘must-do’ is a cruise of the amazing Katherine Gorge. Or canoe it if your kids are up for it. Awesome!
Of course, top of the list for children are crocodiles. And there are great places to see them up close in Darwin, including:
- Crocodylus Park & Zoo has 100s of big salties, plus a mini zoo with lions and other big cats, monkeys and big birds such as cassowaries. Allow at least two hours. It’s 15 minutes drive from your Vibe Hotel Darwin Waterfront.
Closer to home is …
- Crocosaurus Cove where you can cuddle baby crocs, and also get into your bathers and swim with them. It’s also home to a massive aquarium and the world’s largest display of Australian reptiles. In Mitchell Street, just 1.5km away from Vibe.
Next, how about a picnic, a swim, and a history lesson?
- East Point Reserve, Lake Alexander & Military Museum
This is a lovely safe spot to come to for a swim year-round. There’s a playground, beautiful sea views, and picnic areas with BBQs, with a 1.5km mangrove boardwalk starting from the car park. In the evenings, wallabies come here to feed.
Check out the WW11 gun emplacements and Darwin Military Museum at the Northern side. Here they can learn all about the bombing of Darwin.
This beautiful park is about 9km from Vibe Hotel Darwin Waterfront. Drive, or get the bus.
On the way back to your Vibe Hotel, stop off at …
- Fannie Bay Gaol Museum
Another favourite with kids, this was Darwin’s real jail from 1883 to 1979. It still has its gallows and the old cells, where they kept lepers, refugees and even naughty big children!
- *Darwin Waterfront *
There’s lots to do here, including:
- The Wave Lagoon Pool is heaps of fun, with 10 different wave patterns to play in and surf.
- The Recreation Lagoon has a real sandy beach perfect for building sandcastles. It’s a natural ecosystem complete with sea creatures and flora.
- Stokes Street Wharf. A great spot to throw a fishing line.
- Catch a movie under the stars at the Deckchair Cinema.
- Eat out every night
The kids will hoover up the delicious cheap eats at Mindil Beach Sunset Markets. They’re just 5km from your Vibe Hotel. Drive or you can get the bus. And don’t forget to take your rug!