Travel Itinerary for Families
For more top suggestions, also see our other travel itineraries
North Shore Family Fun
Vibe Hotel North Sydney is the ideal base for your holiday. Lots of the city’s best family attractions are just a hop, skip and a jump away.
Start right here, at beautiful Milson’s Point, with:
- North Sydney Olympic Pool. This awesome aquatic centre has fantastic water playgrounds and heated pools. Delicious on a hot day, sensational during winter. Next, walk the kids down to …
- Luna Park! This harbourside heritage-listed amusement park has all the classics including a Ferris wheel, dodgems, and carousel. It’s heaps of fun, good value, and lots of laughs for kids of all ages.
- Balls Head Reserve has magic water views and great spaces for picnics and play. Catch a northbound train at nearby Milson’s Point Station and get off at Waverton Station just up the line. Outside the station, turn left into Bay Road, which turns into Balls Head Road. A 10-minute walk gets you to this piece of bush paradise.
- Walk across Sydney Harbour Bridge to the historic Rocks and Circular Quay, where you can catch ferries to lots of cool destinations, including Taronga Zoo.
(Alternatively, catch a train to Circular Quay from Milson’s Point Station.)
Day adventures on Sydney ferries
Ferries are the most fun way to play on the world’s most beautiful harbour. Allow a day to enjoy each of these excursions:
The Manly Ferry is the classic Sydney adventure. At Manly, swim bayside or at the surf beach, followed by fish ‘n’ chips and an ice cream. Magic. If your kids are big enough to walk, or small enough to stash in backcarriers, do the 9km Manly to Spit Bridge waterfront bushwalk. At the walk’s end, catch a bus from Spit Bridge back to Manly.
- COCKATOO ISLAND
18 hectares of weird, rusty and wonderful relics from Sydney’s shipbuilding past. Today it’s landscaped, with walkways and artworks, and offers stunning Harbour vistas.
- DARLING HARBOUR
Beautiful Darling Harbour is loaded with fun stuff. You could easily spend a whole day here, so make sure you allow plenty of time.
- Sydney Aquarium. Get up close to awesome aquatic creatures, including sharks!
- Wild Life Sydney. Meet koalas, kangaroos, a huge crocodile, and emus right in the middle of the city.
- IMAX Theatre. Classic and new 3D movies to get your heart racing.
- Chinese Gardens. An idyllic place to kick back, while the kids wear themselves out at…
- Darling Harbour Free Playground. Just awesome and probably the best playground in Australia.
- BAlMORAL BEACH
Don’t miss the beauty of Balmoral Beach. One of Sydney’s prettiest and safest beaches is just 6.5km from Vibe Hotel North Sydney